Haverford College invites applications for our full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefits-eligible Research and Instruction Librarian (Humanities) opportunity.
- Provide a full range of general reference services as well as in-depth research assistance in assigned areas. The portfolio of this position includes these subjects: East Asian Languages and Cultures, Philosophy, Religion, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Arabic Languages and Cultures
- Develop and manage collections in assigned subject areas
- Collaborate with librarians supporting other disciplines when a project includes a relevant humanities aspect
- Participate in the Library’s instruction program and promote active learning through classroom instruction, individual research meetings, course guides, exhibits, workshops, etc.
- Work to maintain the effectiveness of the Haverford/Bryn Mawr/Swarthmore approval plan
- Foster and maintain close working relationships with faculty and students in assigned subject areas
- Participate in and support a diverse and inclusive community of faculty, students, and staff
- Engage in assessment and fully participate in the Libraries’ strategic planning processes
- Engage actively in research and scholarship with outputs in a range of formats
- Leverage subject expertise and technical knowledge to advance digital scholarship on campus
- Support related disciplinary faculty in their Digital Scholarship projects
- Keep abreast of new technologies with a view toward their application to research services
- Engage in digital scholarship and advise faculty and students in development, current thinking, and practices
- Train and supervise student assistants assigned to reference work
- Participate in Tri-College Libraries committees as appropriate
- Perform other duties or projects as assigned
Line of Report: The Research and Instruction Librarian (Humanities) reports to Associate Librarian of the College and Coordinator for Research, Instruction, and Digital Scholarship Services. This position supervises student assistants.
Work Location: This position will be eligible for a hybrid work schedule, pursuant to the College’s Work Location Policy. This position is eligible for hybrid work, with a minimum of 4 days per week on campus. The off-campus day shall be selected and consistent every week in agreement with one’s supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Humanities discipline
- Broad liberal arts background
- ALA-accredited master’s degree; alternatively, Ph.D. in relevant subject field and completion of library master’s degree within three years of hire
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to working in and advancing an inclusive environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in research services and instruction
- Demonstrated user-oriented approach to library service
- Demonstrated capacity for collaboration including the ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and students
- Broad familiarity with the subject matter and techniques of college research and teaching, especially in the pertinent fields
- Understanding of research trends including digital scholarship and the role of technology in pedagogy
- Evidence of continuing professional development, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Strong commitment to the goals of a liberal arts education
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work energetically and collegially with all constituencies of the academic community
- Experience that demonstrates an ability to supervise student colleagues
- Two years professional-level experience with general reference, research support, instruction, and collection development services
- Additional advanced degree
- Reading knowledge of an Asian language
- Scholarly engagement in relevant discipline
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (to include a booster dose when eligible), and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Re…. The application deadline is June 4, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.