Dear CEAL colleagues:
The Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the 2022 “CEAL Distinguished Service Award”. The award recognizes an outstanding member of the library profession who has made contributed significantly to East Asian librarianship.
The award is CEAL’s highest honor, recognizing extraordinary excellence in East Asian librarianship. It honors outstanding professional practice and service to library users and the library community, which is exemplified in many ways and includes all aspects of library work, from public service to technical services and administration, and service to the profession through CEAL and other professional organizations. It also includes insightful and relevant research and writing and inspired teaching. Award recipients are leaders whose work exemplifies creativity, leadership and/or scholarship in service to East Asian libraries and to East Asian Studies.
- Nominees must be current or former CEAL members.
- Each nominator may only submit one (1) nomination.
- Previous award recipients may not be nominated again.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nomination submission period opens: August 9, 2021
- Nomination submission period closes: November 8, 2021
- Selection of the award recipient is to be made by January 31, 2022
- The award recipient shall be notified prior to the official announcement of the award. The presentation of the award to the recipient will be made at the 2022 CEAL Annual Conference in Honolulu.
Nomination is a 2-step process:
1. Complete online Nomination Form (Click link to access Online Nomination Form) 2. In addition, nomination packages including the 3 items below must be submitted electronically to Zhijia Shen, CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force Chair, at email@example.com as one single PDF document. Hard copies will not be accepted.
- Current curriculum vitae for the person being nominated
- Formal nomination letter from the nominator (containing the nominator’s signature and date of signature, and outlining how the nominee meets the selection criteria)
- Three (3) additional letters of support
- A plaque
- Award recognition:
- A short article about the award recipient, to be featured in the Journal of East Asian Libraries (JEAL) and on the CEAL Website
- A letter of recognition from the CEAL president to the award recipient’s University Librarian and/or other institution head as appropriate
For further information, please see the CEAL Distinguished Service Award guidelines at https://www.eastasianlib.org/newsite/ceal-distinguished-service-award/.
If you have any questions, please contact the Chair of the CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force, Zhijia Shen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving many nominations!
Chair, CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force
CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force (February 2021-May 2022)
Yan He, George Washington University
Hana Kim, University of Toronto (Ex officio)
Adam Lisbon, University of Colorado
Toshie Mara, University of California at Berkeley
Jee-Young Park, University of Chicago
Zhijia Shen, University of Washington (Chair)