Issue 167 of the Journal of East Asian Libraries has been published online and is now available at https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/jeal/
In this issue we have :
- The President’s Message from CEAL President Zhijia Shen in which she updates us on the work of the Executive Board and the many initiatives they are currently undertaking. A must read for all CEAL members.
- Two articles on East Asia Library digitization projects. One on the CR/10 Cultural Revolution oral history project at the University of Pittsburgh and the other on the digitization of the Haldore Hanson photograph collection at Carleton College. Both articles discuss the processes of dealing with technological choices and the issues they encountered along the way as well as working with other units of the library to accomplish objectives.
- Blaine Chiasson provides us with an incisive book review of “Inside the World’s Major East Asian Collections: One Belt, One Road and Beyond” where he points out “… this volume serves as a useful secondary introduction. For researchers like myself it was fascinating to see familiar faces expand on their work and see these collections from the curator’s side of the desk, giving us an added appreciation the day-to-day cutting edge work involved.”
- Charlene Chou, Chair of the Committee on Technical Processing, with the article “Emerging Technical Services: The Vision of the Committee on Technical Processing”.
- We have In Memoriam articles of two giants of our profession who passed away this year: Thomas Kuo of the University of Pittsburgh, in which it is stated, ”The development and achievements of the East Asian Library of the University of Pittsburgh today are inseparable from Dr. Kuo’s outstanding contributions and hard work”; and Hisao Matsumoto, “A US citizen who survived the Hiroshima atomic bombing, a US Air Force veteran, and an employee of the US Library of Congress.”
I hope you find all of this useful and informative.
Please do let me know if you have questions about submitting articles, and let me know you have announcements for Issue 168 regarding appointments, retirements, obits, etc…