Dear CEAL colleagues:
The Council on East Asian Libraries (CEAL) is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the inaugural “CEAL Distinguished Service Award” for 2020 which recognizes an outstanding member of the library profession who has made a significant contribution to East Asian librarianship.
The award is the CEAL’s highest honor, recognizing extraordinary excellence in East Asian librarianship. It honors remarkable professional practice and great service to library users, which is exemplified in many ways and includes all aspects of library work, from public service to technical services and administration, and service to the profession through CEAL and other professional organizations. It also includes insightful and relevant research and writing and inspired teaching. Award recipients are leaders whose work exemplifies creativity, leadership and/or scholarship in service to East Asian libraries and to East Asian Studies.
- Nominees must be current or former CEAL members.
- Each nominator may only submit one (1) nomination.
- Previous award recipients may not be nominated again.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nomination submission period opens: September 1, 2019
- Nomination submission period closes: November 16, 2019
- Selection of the award recipient is to be made by January 31, 2020
- The award recipient shall be notified prior to the official announcement of the award.
- The announcement of the award recipient will be made at the 2020 CEAL Annual Conference in Boston.
Nomination is a 2-stage process:
1. Complete online Nomination Form (Click link to access form: Online Nomination Form)
2. In addition, nomination packages including the 3 items below must be submitted electronically to Hana Kim, CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org as one single PDF document. Hard copies will not be accepted.
- Current curriculum vitae for the person being nominated
- Formal nomination letter from the nominator (Outlining how the nominee meets the selection criteria)
- Three (3) additional letters of support
- A plaque
- Award recognition:
– A short article about the award recipient, to be featured in the Journal of East Asian Libraries (JEAL) and on the CEAL Website
– A letter of recognition from the CEAL president to the award recipient’s University Librarian and/or other institution head as appropriate
For further information, please see the CEAL Distinguished Service Award page at https://www.eastasianlib.org/newsite/ceal-distinguished-service-award/.
If you have questions, please contact the Chair of the CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force, Hana Kim, at email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving many nominations!
Chair, CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force
Members of the CEAL Distinguished Service Award Task Force (June 2018-May 2020)
Fabiano Rocha, University of Toronto
Ken Klein, University of Southern California
Rob Britt, University of Washington
Yan He, George Washington University
Zhijia Shen, University of Washington (ex officio)